Dropbox

Send me
your sounds

Thursday 3 November 2011

Spotlight: Mr. Beeb - New future garage producer from Dumfries, Scotland

This is special thread on my blog which is going to represent less known artists on the worldwide bass music scene. First issue is dedicated to 26 years old future garage producer from Dumfries, Scotland.



Meet Bryan Vance Hollinger also known as mr. Beeb. You probably know him from future garage forum. I noticed his touch on bass music from the very first track I've listened on his soundcloud page.

A simple start(WIP) by Mr. Beeb

'Simple Start' the WIP version is the darkside of future garage music. Good minimalistic touch on production. Simple and stylish floating bassline synths plus 3rd kick drum skip is what I need to feel proper groove. Very joyful work on vocal cuts. Keep in minds that's still work in progress. Defenitely should be great track!

Mr.Beeb - I see you're blue... by Mr. Beeb

If you seek fresh sounds - this is it! Vocal cuts are weird and touchy, very joyful if you get used to them. Proper beat progression, kick drum skips, 'random' claps n snaps, cryptic synths and slow, unfrequented and floating bassline. This is what 'I see you're blue' is. Too chilly and complicated for the dancefloor but great for listening on the walk or in public transport. Pure autumn sound.

Mr.Beeb - Furg-Ate You by Mr. Beeb

'Furg-Ate You' - I call it Mr. Beeb's main theme. 'Crying in the darkness' - this is what you hear. This production is ENIGMATIC. Probably you'll notice huge Whistla influence on this one. Slow motion people on the dancefloor - is what I see while listening. Sad lyrics on vocal cuts but anyway it feels good to be alone, one on one with this track. Alone in a crowd. It definitely should be on Whistla's playlist or any other future garage radioshow rotation. Massive track.

Mr Beeb - Furg ate you (si-an's funky remix) by Si-An

Want some more? Meet Si-An's funky remix on Bryan's 'Furg-Ate You'. Still same touch and sound but modified beat structure and whole construction. Delayed vocals and percussion refreshes the whole idea.

blnd! - U Make Me Happy feat Sanna Hartfield (Mr.Beeb Remix) by Futuregarageforum

Now it's time to hear mr. Beeb's touch on remixing things. Futuregarageforum.com remix contest on track 'U Make Me Happy ft. Sanna Hartfield' by blnd!. If you want to learn more - here is the link for forum discussion. Also search for 'blnd u make me happy' on soundcloud to check all versions including remixes by Dellity, Mr. Booze, arX, M@B and PoundDust Deconstruction.

Lemon Chore-dial by Mr. Beeb

'Lemon Chore-dial' - Latest tune by Mr. Beeb

It's really rare case to see new producers to keep same, particular style for all new and forthcoming tracks. As usual most of people are making tunes and each new one sounds totally different from older tracks. But here we hear same unique touch on future garage music production. Same stylish reversed rim shot, floating kick, floating claps and snares. Same tasty reverb on layered hats and cymbals. Same joyful synths and same playful melodies. This work definitely deserves public attention. I'm sure we'll hear this dub on fresh future garage mixes very very soon.

Here comes the main text part of my blog entry. I've asked Bryan several questions about himself and his thoughts about the genre he belongs to. I was surprised to get all those extended answers.

BASSCOLLECTOR: Who's Mr. Beeb? How it became so you took this alias?

Mr. Beeb: My nickname is Beeb and that is what most people know me as. The "Mr" part was added as I was part of a forum years ago and forgot the password for my account under the name "Beeb", so I added the "Mr" part. I would go into the whole reason why my nickname is Beeb, but we could be here for a while...

BASSCOLLECTOR: How long you've been producing? And tell please about what influenced you to move this direction?

Mr. Beeb: I've been producing and making music properly for 4 months. I've messed around for a long time previous to that, but I've only started finishing tracks and being confident enough to put them out and let people hear them in the past year. The main influence to make the move was seeing my friends doing it and thinking "This is my sort of thing". Main shout outs go to Si-An for showing me the way with Ableton and Alcane for being a musical influence in my life for a long time.

BASSCOLLECTOR: Who's Alcane and Si-An?

Mr. Beeb: Alcane is my friend who is a DJ and started a night called "red alert" with some other people in my local town. This became a place that we could go and listen to drum and bass and hip hop and it shaped my music taste.

Mr. Beeb: Si-An is a good friend. He's a fellow producer/dj/mc. He got me into making beats properly. He makes some great tunes.

BASSCOLLECTOR: Massive shouts to Dumfries crew! I'm going to dig more Scottish productions. Big up!

BASSCOLLECTOR: As far as I can see you're not a DJ. If I'm right tell please why?

Mr. Beeb: I'm not playing out as a DJ at the moment as I am not confident enough with my ability in comparison with some of my peers who put on nights in our area, but plans are in process for that all to change. Just need to get my hands on some 1210's and serato ;)

BASSCOLLECTOR: Somehow you should start working on this as fast as possible. And I advice you not to compare yourself with others. Of course you need to learn techniques but anyway music tastes shouldn't be compared.

BASSCOLLECTOR: Why future garage? What's future garage music for you?

Mr. Beeb: The future garage movement appeals to me due to the variance in what people are producing for a start. For me it's all about the vocal cuts, deep bass and intricate swinging drum patterns. Future garage for me represents the movement of people trying to get away from the dubstep that is out just now and get back to the dark garage feel which was apparent before dubstep blew up. I also see the future garage movement as an outlet for all types of producers with different background influences to add some depth into the garage genre. Notice I use the term "Future Garage" as a movement, not a musical genre. because future garage is not a genre in my opinion.

BASSCOLLECTOR: Bless all your words. This is brilliant example for all newcomers to bass music culture. No matter what genre it is. An example of thing they should know before trying to do something as part of movement.

BASSCOLLECTOR: What are your plans for nearest future?

Mr. Beeb: I'm looking to finish off some more music. I'm taking more time to learn new things and I am paying closest attention to the advice of others and mistakes I've made with my productions in the past. Just want to get better and better at making music that I want to hear!

BASSCOLLECTOR: And what you think about publishing your music on labels? Is it an important part of being producer or you think it's not necessarily?

Mr. Beeb: I think it's an integral part of getting your music out there. If the right label comes along then I would love to release my stuff. But time will tell if that opportunity arises!

BASSCOLLECTOR: Tell few words about artwork for mr. Beeb logo. It seems cool and funny to me. Is this your creation?

Mr. Beeb: The artwork was created for me by my brother. He is a talented graphic designer/audio engineer based in Glasgow, Scotland. He got bored one day and made it for me, I liked it a lot! Robots represent my glitchy take on things I guess! If you'd like to look at some of his other work his company can be found here: www.hollingercreative.com

BASSCOLLECTOR: And now tell us please about your soundcloud group 'Scottish Productions'. What's the whole idea and purpose of this act?

BASSCOLLECTOR: soundcloud.com/groups/scottish-productions

Mr. Beeb: I wanted to create a moderated group for Scottish producers of electronic music. I felt it would be a great outlet for the best things coming out at the moment. It will hopefully open up communication between genres and maybe open up artists/songs to people who might have never got to hear them otherwise. The whole ethos behind it was "To create a playlist page of great music that people could actually visit and listen all the way through".

BASSCOLLECTOR: Thank you Bryan for your time and attention. I enjoyed a lot making this entry. I hope to spot your new productions on my blog very soon! Keep it real!

Quick links section:

twitter.com/beebmun
mrbeeb.tumblr.com
youtube.com/mrbeebuk
soundcloud.com/blnd
sub.fm
futuregarageforum.com
hollingercreative.com
soundcloud.com/groups/scottish-productions